Was what I experienced inappropriate touching?

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Was what I experienced inappropriate touching?

My female boss came up behind me (female) as I was in a co-workers office asking a question. She grabbed both the top of my arms and “guided” in a not so gentle manner me out the door of my co-worker’s office and told me to do something. I felt very uncomfortable, angry, embarrassed and that I was being treated like a child. Is this a violation of any kind?

Asked on August 3, 2011 Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you think you were being harassed on a sexual basis or because of your sex/gender, then you may have a claim for sex-based job discrimination. However, as a general matter, the law does not protect against being treated like a child, made to feel uncomfortable or embarrased, etc. Rather, the law only protects against harassment or discrimination based on a person's membership in certain specifically defined protected categories, such as based on a person's sex, race, religion, disability, or age over 40.  If you think the touching constituted harassment on one of these bases, such as sexual harassment, you may have a claim, and may wish to contact the state labor department or speak with an employment law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption