Can I work for a company that my employer represented?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I work for a company that my employer represented?

My current employer represents companies in the U.S. I have the opportunity to work for one of them earning more salary which will help me maintain my family but the employer send an email stating that this company cannot hire me because the contract prohibits them from doing so. Is this really applicable in the U.S.? How can an employer limit an employee from

growing professionally and earn more money for the family?

Asked on October 24, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There is no inherent right to any particular job or to be employed by any particular company. Businesses may look to protect their rights and interests by preventing their employees from working for their clients, bringing the employer's expertise (which the client pays for) directly to the client, for example. If the client signed a contract that they would not hire or employ the company's employees, or you signed an agreement to not work for clients, that is enforceable and they can prevent you taking the job (or the client from hiring you).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption