What to do about age discrimination?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about age discrimination?

My wife works for a company that expects her to work much harder than other

people in her position that have the same position. She is with the company for

more than 30 years. She works with people that come and go on a regular basis. I know that they are trying to get her to quit because she is at the top of the pay scale. Now they are threatening her that she will get less hours if she doesn’t comply. What should we do?

Asked on June 20, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that they are discriminating against her due to her age being over 40--and trying to force out employees who are higher-paid due to their age/seniority can be age discrimination--contact the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights (DCR), the agency which investigates employment-discrimination and enforces the anti-discrimination laws. They may be able to help: your wife may have a claim under both federal law and also under NJ's own Law Against Discrmination (LAD). The DCR could potentially help your wife get compensation for her treatment and/or prevent the employer from continuing to discriminate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption