If I was let go from my job and was not paid for my work, what are my rights?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was let go from my job and was not paid for my work, what are my rights?

I was hired into a dentist’s office as a receptionist, then he decided later that

he wanted a fully licensed dental assistant with experience, so he let me go. He

does not want to pay me because I supposedly

Asked on June 20, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You must be paid for the work you did: period. The law is very clear on that: if you hire someone as an employee or to do work, then if you decide they were not what you wanted or that they were a bad hire, you still must pay them for all work they did, up to when you let them go. Based on what you write, you could sue him (such as in small claims court as your own attorney or "pro se") for the pay he owes you with a good chance of success.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption