Violence in the Workplace

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Violence in the Workplace

About 2 weeks ago, I was involved in an altercation with one of my co-workers where he called me out my name and proceeded as if he wanted to fight me. There were 2 other employees who got between us and as I was walking to my car, he proceeded to call me all kind of nasty names, Stating that o was gay, a faggot and that I :F

Asked on August 7, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your employer is not the police; it is not their job to punish him for his statements or threats, or protect you from him. An employer is also generally not responsible for criminal acts (including assault) in the workplace, because the commission of criminal acts is outside or beyond the scope of employment (it's not part of the job). While your employer could *choose* to terminate this individual, they do not have to and are not responsible for his criminal acts. If you deem your safety at risk, you may need to seek other employment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption