Can I be compensated for hours that I worked and didn’t get paid for l unch breaks?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be compensated for hours that I worked and didn’t get paid for l unch breaks?

I work from 7am-430pm straight
through, I have done this since 6-
18-14 and I would like to know if
I can be compensated for the
hours that I worked and not been
paid for?

Asked on August 7, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Are you an hourly employee? (I.e. paid based on the number of hours worked?) Then if so, you must be paid for all hours you worked, and if your employer (for example) has you work through lunch, you should be paid for the time you would otherwise have taking lunch, but did not. You can potentially recover back pay for up to the last two years; if you are an hourly employee but believe you were not paid for all hours worked, contact the state or federal department of labor to file a complaint.
(And if hourly, you should be paid overtime for all time past 40 hours worked each week, and if you were not, that is something else you could potentially claim for.)
If you were salaried, your weekly salary was your total compensation for all hours worked each week, not matter how many.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption