How doI plead my case in court if I unknowingly left the scene of an accident?

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI plead my case in court if I unknowingly left the scene of an accident?

I pulled into a driveway to turn around and hit the house’s mailbox. It was dark, music was playing, and I had no idea that I hit it. The only thing I felt was the car going over the curb. I proceeded to drive around the neighborhood when I was promptly pulled over and charged with careless driving and leaving the scene of an accident. Honestly, I was unaware that I caused any damage. How do I defend this in court and justify leaving the scene?

Asked on November 14, 2011 under Criminal Law, West Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have been charged with a criminal act, it is best that you retain a criminal defense attorney in that if convicted, you could be fined and/or have a jail sentence.

If you do not believe that you intended to leave the scene of an accident, you should plead "not guilty" at the arraignment after you have had the time to consult with your attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption