How will the states recognize my foreign divorce?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How will the states recognize my foreign divorce?

I am currently in France going through a mutual divorce with my soon to be ex

husband, who is French. My divorce will be recognized clearly under French law,

but how will they recognize it once I move back to the US? Will it be automatic? Do

I need to notify the government, if so how? Or do I just go back to living a normal

live as an American in my own country? I will obtain several copies of the divorce

degree of course before I move back stateside, but Im so confused on what to do

so that I can be divorced in the eyes of the US. Ps. We got married in the US

originally so my mariage is registered, but weve to get a divorce in France because

its where we reside.

Asked on November 7, 2018 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

A foreign divorce is recognized in the Untied States under the docttrine of "comity" so long as the parties were properly notified in the forign coutry.  I am assuming that the divorce was properly served, acknowledged and consented to in France. I would, though, contact a divorce attorney from the state in which you were married (it says here Texas) to make sure that your state laws are complied with as well.  That attorney can also tell you what you need to register the foreign divorce in Texas so that it will show up in the county clerk's records.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption