What to do about a civil judgment that I was never notified of?

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a civil judgment that I was never notified of?

According to court documents I just looked up I had a civil judgment awarded against me 6 years ago for just under $8000. I received no summons or any other papers so I was completely unaware of this. I recently inherited some money and placed it in my savings account which last week was garnished, almost $11,000. According to the bank the garnishment is for just under $15,000. Do I have any legal recourse at this point?

Asked on February 15, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you pull the court file and read it where there was a judgment against you six years ago. Possibly you were subserved with the summons and complaint or served through publication.

After you have reviewed the file, I suggest that you have a copy of it made and then consult with an attorney that practices debt collection law. Potentially you might be able to have the default judgment set aside if proper service of the summons and complaint was never accomplished. After the passage of six years from the civil judgment it is difficult to have it set aside based upon my experience with such matters. Whether you have any recourse is up to the advice of the attorney that I suggest that you see.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption