Can the state of Alabama charge the owner or renter for yard clean up

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the state of Alabama charge the owner or renter for yard clean up

I rented a trailer to someone. The
state of Alabama has given me 15 days to
get yard clear of debris. I explained
this to renter they will not clean it
up. Can I go on the property and remove
the debris without renters consent?

Asked on July 11, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) Yes, the property owner, not the renter or tenant, is the one who is responsible for the clean up, and so the one that the state would charge or fine.
2) A property owner or landlord has the right enter the property on 24-hour notice (best sent in writing, sent some way you can prove delivery, including email or text message) for maintenance, to remove debris or garbage, or to correct an illegal condition. So you can provide proper notice then go in to do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption