Trying to start a small online business. Created a C Corp in Nevada with the hope that multiple sites will be under it, but I live in NJ.

UPDATED: May 18, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 18, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Trying to start a small online business. Created a C Corp in Nevada with the hope that multiple sites will be under it, but I live in NJ.

Trying to start a C Corp in Nevada, but Nevada does not have state tax. Do I still need some kind of state tax ID, how about a federal tax ID, or FEIN? The only possible employees the C Corp would have would be myself.Since I live in NJ do I need a state tax ID? If so, do I need it for the Nevada C Corp and/or each web site? Where can I find the forms for a state tax ID for an out of state C Corp.Will I get the state tax ID if I apply for a NJ business license (which I am pretty sure I need)?

Asked on May 18, 2009 under Business Law, New Jersey


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

A lot of these questions, particularly the ones about tax ID's, are probably things an accountant (CPA) could answer very quickly.

I'm not sure why you want to have your corporation established in Nevada, but you are right, that you will need a foreign (out-of-state) corporation license to do business in New Jersey if your place of business is in the state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption