What information do I put in the sworn financial statement?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What information do I put in the sworn financial statement?

I am getting divorced, and we are trying for an uncontested divorce. I have been unable to work for the past 3 years due to a complication with my medical issues but prior to that and for several months after, I was helping my husband with the rent from $300 per month to $500 per month after his dad died. I was also buying all the food related groceries for the home we don’t have any kids together but his daughter from a previous marriage lives with us, as does his best friend’s son, and my father did up until Russ filed for divorce. Even for the past 3 years, I was still buying groceries until my unemployment and early retirement money ran out, which was a couple weeks ago. My husband has an attorney who, literally 2days after I told him that I couldn’t afford groceries anymore, sent him home with a sworn financial statement for me to fill out we still live together. Do I use my current situation to fill out this form, which is that I don’t have any money coming in, and I don’t contribute monetarily to the household currently, or put that I buy bought groceries until very recently, and used to pay rent? I don’t want it to look like I’m trying to pull something when I’m not. I just want to do it right Also, do you think that I need my own attorney since my husband has one? If so, I will need to borrow from my father to pay for one.

Asked on January 22, 2019 under Family Law, Colorado


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Just include your current information on the financial statement. You should be represented by an attorney in your divorce. Without an attorney, you will be at a disadvantage because your husband is represented by an attorney. It would be a mistake not to have an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption