If a tenant has not paid for water bill, can I shut off the water?

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a tenant has not paid for water bill, can I shut off the water?

It states she is responsible for it, plus she has not paid rent for 2 months. What else can I do to get her out?

Asked on January 8, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, you may not shut off the water; landlords are generally forbidden from shutting off tenant's utilities.

If the tenant is violating her lease, whether it is a written one or an oral (often called verbal) lease, by not paying utilities, such as water, or not paying rent, your recourse is to evict her. You may file an eviction action based on nonpayment. You may also sue her for the money she owes you, and/or take it out of her security deposit after eviction. Your local courts (e.g. your county court) should be able to provide you information and sample forms for filing these actions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption