If someone from car dealership backed my car and broke my bumper, should I take action or wait until they call me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone from car dealership backed my car and broke my bumper, should I take action or wait until they call me?

My car was in the dealership’s shop for an issue to be looked at. When I came to pick it up someone from the dealership backed it into a steel beam and broke the bumper. I took pictures and they did but they never provided me with any

insurance papers or what so ever. I was in a hurry and didn’t think about any

other kind of proof other than the pictures. They said they would call me as soon

as they knew when they could put a new bumper on but I just want to make sure

there wouldn’t be any legal issues.

Asked on October 15, 2018 under Accident Law, Indiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the dealership is going to replace the bumper at no cost to you, give them a little time to follow through. If nothing has been done within a couple of days, demand that the dealership provide its insurance information, and then file a property damage claim with that insurance carrier for the cost of repairs to your bumper.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption