Is it okay in Texas to include Realty in my business name if I’m not a licensed realtor or broker?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it okay in Texas to include Realty in my business name if I’m not a licensed realtor or broker?

I’m a local investor in San Antonio and want to put my Business name Realty, is
this allowed considering I’m not a broker or a licensed real estate agent? I
wouldn’t want to run into any legal trouble because my business name includes the
word Realty.

Thank you so much.

Asked on November 19, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It's legal as long as you do act as a licensed realtor or broker (not being one) and do mislead anyone into thinking that you are a realtor or broker. But barrin that, you may use ther term. So for instance, if you want to name your company "Realty Investment LLC? since you invest in real estate, that would be fine.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption