What to do about a small estate and a property lien?

UPDATED: Jan 18, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 18, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a small estate and a property lien?

It is a small estate transfer by affidavit for $50,000 or under. There is a lien on property regarding a government housing rehab grant/loan has to be paid back when property is sold or transferred. I’m a heir and elected by family to liquidate assets and pay the final expenses. Do I have to pay for lien on property right away once I file the transfer of affidavit with the state or can we wait until the property is sold to pay for lien?

Asked on January 18, 2014 under Estate Planning, Wisconsin


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can most likely pay it once the property is sold as part of the closing but you may wish to talk to a housing counselor in your area (their services are free) to see if the counselor can contact the government housing rehab lender to negotiate delayed payment.  This is usually allowed during a death.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption