What to do if my mom didn’t leave a Will but she did sign her home over to my sister?

UPDATED: Jan 18, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 18, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my mom didn’t leave a Will but she did sign her home over to my sister?

This was agreed upon by my sister and I. However, does that include the contents of her home? Her car is in mom’s name only but she told my sister and I (and my brother-in-law) that if anything ever happened to her, she wanted my sister to have her car. How do we change it to my sister’s name?

Asked on January 18, 2014 under Estate Planning, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

1) Giving someone a house does not include the house's content--that will pass as per intestate succession (the rules for who gets what when there is no will).

2) You should be able to refuse accepting (your share of) the car, in which case if your sister is the only other child, it should go to her. For help in doing the paperwork on this, and generally making sure the estate is administered properly, you are advised to have a trusts and estates attorney help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption