What to do if my sister’s funds were frozen because of mom is llisted on her bank account and missed payment to debt collector?

UPDATED: Mar 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my sister’s funds were frozen because of mom is llisted on her bank account and missed payment to debt collector?

My mother missed a payment to a debt collector/lawyers office because she was hospilized. She tried contacting them but was sent to voice mail and left a few messages. Today her account was frozen but because she is on disability they couldn’t collect the funds. However my sister was listed as a joint account and all of her funds frozen The only reason my mother was listed on her account was because she was 18 years old. My sister called the collector/lawyer but was told that they wouldnt unfreeze her account and it was a punishment for my mother. What can we do?

Asked on March 15, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, since your mother owes creditors money and is listed on a joint bank account with your sister, the presumed judgment creditor is entitled under the law to levy upon the jointly owned bank account. If your sister wishes to possibly regain control of the jointly owned bank account, I suggest that she consult with an attorney who practices in the area of debt relief for consumers to see if a petition to release the "freeze" on the jointly owned bank account is warranted and likely to succeed.

If nothing is done, the judgment creditor will get the entire account per the bank levy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption