If I’m being garnished at the single rate and need to be at the head of family rate for credit card debt, How can I reduce the amount?

UPDATED: Mar 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m being garnished at the single rate and need to be at the head of family rate for credit card debt, How can I reduce the amount?

I just found out that 25% of my wages are being garnished for credit card debt. I can claim head of household so i should only be garnished 10%. How do I do this and is there any way I can reduce the total amount? The credit card was almost entirely fees and interest. I was not served my baby sitter was and it said i was personally served.

Asked on March 15, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to file a petition with the court where the judgment against you is located to try and get the rate of garnishment reduced from 25% to 10% of your wages. I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer debt relief to assist you in that the petition that you need to do to have the court consider the relief that you want is somewhat complicated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption