Should I pursue any type of legal action because the amount of the raise that I was supposed to get but didn’t isn’t that large?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I pursue any type of legal action because the amount of the raise that I was supposed to get but didn’t isn’t that large?

I work as a cook. We are guaranteed a raise and evaluation every 6 months. I was supposed to receive a quarter raise 2 months ago and still have received nothing. I also was told I received my last raise for a quarter and realized several months later, I never received

that quarter raise either so I’m still owed back pay for that. I’ve called HR and they’ve

Asked on December 28, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unless you had a written employment contract for a definite term (e.g. a one-year contract) which stated the raise, you were never "guaranteed" a raise. In the absence of a written contract, the employer determines your pay and can change it--or not change it--at will. Your pay is simply whatever your employer says it is, and you are paid whatever they choose to pay you. Therefore, if they did not give you the raise you thought you'd get, that was their right, and you cannot sue them for it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption