Could I have a case against a doctor if he overprescribed medications to my mother resulting in her death?

UPDATED: Oct 5, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 5, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Could I have a case against a doctor if he overprescribed medications to my mother resulting in her death?

My mother died 2 months ago under 24 hours of being in the hospital. After having stable health her heart just stopped beating. The cause of death came out to be drug toxicity. Only one doctor prescribed her medication. She was on many which caused a reaction that made her heart stop. I believe she was on an excessive amount of prescriptions. The doctor is also known for giving out drugs loosely.

Asked on October 5, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Michigan


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You may have a case for wrongful death, but if your mother was elderly, your damages are going to be limited.  That is because they are based on life expectancy.  If she was very elderly, there may be no damages that are recoverable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption