How to seek to discharge ownership of a timeshare?

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to seek to discharge ownership of a timeshare?

Cannot afford maintenance fees and unable to sell. Was told I could forfeit unit back to resort but now getting run-around. What can I do? Maintenance fee in collections. How can I prevent further billing and attachment of liens.

Asked on July 28, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

One way to eliminate your ownership of the timeshare that no one seems to want to buy and where the owner of the property where the timeshare is located is giving you the run around, you might consider donating the timeshare to a charitable organization.

You would get a tax write off and the entity could auction off the timeshare at an event to possibly raise funds. I suggest that you consult with a tax attorney with respect to how to donate the timeshare.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption