Renters being forced to homelessness

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Renters being forced to homelessness

We rent in Maine with a five year lease. Just notified the owner is filing bankruptcy and letting our home go to foreclosure. We have no money to move and there are no homes in our town to rent. Do we have any rights? We ahvent the money to move to another town and start over. Is there any way we can keep the house we are in without applying for a mortgage?

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Maine


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

no a renter is only entitled to the property as much as the landlord is entitled. If the landlord can no longer afford the property and it is foreclosing the tenants rights will cease with those of the landlord

If your property is purchased by someone who wants to rent it you can look to rent from the new owner but as far as the rights from your lease although they may cover longer than you will actually be living there they are contingent on the landlord possession of the property, without that your lease will terminate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption