Can I refinance my house without getting my wife involved?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I refinance my house without getting my wife involved?

I bought my current house before I got married. Both the house and mortgage are under my name only. I want to find out if there is a way I can refinance and keep my wife out of it. It means she does not have to agree to or sign anything.

Asked on January 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the home that you have is solely in your name at this time as well as the loan, you can submit the loan application to refinance the property you are writing about solely as your own application without any mention of your wife as an applicant. Whether or not the lending institution will want your wife to co-sign the loan that you want depends upon what requirements the lender may have.

From what you have written, since the property is in your name alone (as well as the loan on it), I see nothing preventing you legally from refinancing the home alone without any involvement by your spouse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption