What to do if i buy something at reasonable cost from an employee and find out later that it may or may not be stolen?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if i buy something at reasonable cost from an employee and find out later that it may or may not be stolen?

I bought a large screen TV from an employee of mine that said he made the buy with a friend a while ago and is now is in need of rent money. Suppossedly due to the fact he had some emergency with a child’s medical bill and we haven’t gave him many hours as he is used to (he is full-time and got 21 hours for a few weeks in a row) so he needed the money to pay rent. I come to find out months later it was from rent-a-center under his roommates name (another of my employees). I contacted the “thief” who says its a misunderstanding the rest of “RAC” bill is unpaid but the TV is paid off where do I go to find the truth?

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your purchased an article from your employee (the large screen television) and discovered after the fact that neither your employee or his friend legally owned the item, you are entitled to your money back in full since the seller did not have ownership rights to sell the item to you.

In fact, an argument could be made that the item was stolen property and you would be entitled to make a police report about what happened to law enforcement if you desired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption