question about suing a bank…

UPDATED: May 30, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

question about suing a bank…

I have a question for a friend about an issue with her bank. My friend tried to deposit cash money into a relative account but it never appeared.She called her bank 1800 number and the representative said it might take 24-48 hours to reflect into the account since the relative that she is trying to deposit the money to lives out of state.Now two days later my friend went to her bank because her relative still did not receive the money and the bank says they don’t know where the money is or what happen to it .Can she sue if this issue is not resolved with her bank?

Asked on May 30, 2009 under Business Law, Louisiana


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I suggest calling the bank branch where the money was deposited and locate the transaction history so that you can see the paper trail and try to locate the cash.  If the bank cannot locate the cash, you will have to prove that you deposited the cash.  I am not sure how you will be able to do that other than showing the receipt from when your friend made the deposit.  otherwise the bank is going to deny the deposit.  If the bank will not give out the transaction history, then you can sue the bank for conversion.  To do that, you should get a lawyer.  if the bank shows the transaction history and you see the deposit, you can solve this problem.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption