What to do if a contractor caused major damage to our pool?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a contractor caused major damage to our pool?

We had the concrete around our swimming pool replaced, new coping and decking. During the removal and replacement, the contractor damaged the automatic pool cover tracking system that is built into the concrete coping, stained the plaster with concrete that spilled into the pool, damaged the tile around the water line. The track system is damaged beyond repair and the only way to replace the track is to replace the coping. The contractor has offered to replace the coping with new concrete but is saying that the damaged track is not their fault and they will not cover the cost of replacing it.

Asked on July 27, 2011 New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You could sue the contractor for negligence for the damage to the automatic pool covering tracking system, stained plaster with concrete spilling into the pool and the damaged tile.  Negligence is based on the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that in this case a reasonable contractor would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).

In addition to the cause of action (claim) for negligence, your lawsuit should also include a separate cause of action (claim) for breach of contract based on the substandard work of the contractor and the resulting damage.

Your damages (the amount you are seeking to recover in your lawsuit) should include the cost of repairs and cost of replacing the damaged track.  You will need to mitigate (minimize) damages by replacing the damaged track with a track that is comparable and not the most expensive one you can find.  If you were to select the most expensive track you could find as a replacement, your damages would be reduced accordingly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption