What to do about an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal?

UPDATED: Jul 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal?

I was given 16 hours of community service and told that for 6 months. My record would say “adjournment in contemplation of dismissal,” and that after 6 months, my record would be clean. Did the 6 month period start after the completion of my community service or after the original sentencing? After 6 months, will a potential employer see a clean record if they do a background check?

Asked on July 30, 2012 under Criminal Law, New York


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The consideration for the dismissal should date back to the date in which your sentenced or ordered to complete the community service. At this point, once all conditions are met, your case should be dismissed after 6 months. These sentences are typically referred to as Delayed Sentences or Deferred Adjudications. After 6 months, your criminal record will reflect one of two things: 1) That you were charged with a crime, plead guilty, and that the case was dismissed; or 2) That you were charged, but the case was dismissed, without mentioning that you ever plead guilty.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption