UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


Yes my name is Tabitha shepherd I have
been living in my great aunt and uncles
house my uncle died 17 years ago and
left the house to my great aunt. My
great aunt died earlier this year they
had a son that was in titled to the
house but he died before my great ain’t
did last year. I am blood of my great
uncles. They are 2 years of taxes owed
on property and no will how can I take
ownership of the property

Asked on October 31, 2018 under Estate Planning, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  So if your Aunt died without a Will that is called dying "Intestate" and the intestacy laws in Georgia will apply.  More information about who related to your Aunt and Uncle are alive in order to help guide you.  For example, if they had siblings then the siblings would have a right to inherit the property.  I am going to give you a link to the intestacy statute here but I think that you need to speak with a lawyer in your area.  Someone has to be appointed as the Personal Representative of the estate to transfer the property via executor's deed.  That could be you but you need to know what you ar getting in to. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption