Obtaining funds from my deceased fathers bank account

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Obtaining funds from my deceased fathers bank account

Hello. My father recently passed away. He is a Greek citizen and passed away in
Greece. For many years he worked in the US. He had set up a bank account in the
US to receive his monthly SS retirement benefits. I am an American citizen. What
can I do to withdraw these funds from the bank? There is no will. I am his only
heir. Thank you for your time.

Asked on November 1, 2018 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Would the amount that is in there qualify to be probated under a small estate in New Jersey? That would be called a Summary Proceeding. Under New Jersey Law, if the value of all property is less than $10,000, and there is no surviving spouse or registered domestic partner, one heir, with the consent of the others, can file an Affidavit with the court and receive all of the assets. See N.J. Stat. Ann. 3B:10-4.  If you are the only heir the court may require an affidavit to that effect.   Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption