Once a garnishment goes into effect, can you still negotiate with the creditor?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Once a garnishment goes into effect, can you still negotiate with the creditor?

I received a letter from my employer that my payroll check is going to be garnished for a credit card past due balance of $2,430.02. They are going to garnish 25% of my pay every check until paid. I would like to make payments instead. Is it to late?

Asked on December 30, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Assuming there is a judgment against you where there has been a validly issued wage garnishment by the court for the judgment creditor for 25% of your net pay check until the $2,430.02 that you owe is paid, there really is not much you can do with the exception of contacting the judgment creditor or the attorney for the judgment creditor seeking a monthly installment payment plan instead.

If that is what you want to try and do, I would make the telephone call and try and negotiate a payment plan memorialized in writing signed by you and the judgment creditor. You need to be aware that there is nothing requiring that the judgment creditor agree to any proposal by you for a monthly payment instead of the wage garnishment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption