What to do if a friend died and made a notation that I owed her money when in factI did not?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a friend died and made a notation that I owed her money when in factI did not?

A woman sent notice of this to me in a registered letter; she is not a relative. In the letter she stated that she is trying to settle up my friend’s estate. Apparently my friend had written on her calender that I owed her $5,000. I never borrowed this money. The friend that passed had no Will. She had for over a year been out of her head due to chronic kidney disease. The woman who wrote the registered letter, stated I have 30 days to present receipts showing that I paid her back. How do I deal with this?

Asked on December 30, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, West Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First the claim against you by this third person for all intents and purposes is inadmissible hearsay and cannot be admitted into evidence at trial if there is a proper and timely objection to the reference on the calendar that you owe $5,000.

I would write the person who contacted you in response to the registered letter demanding that you be presented with any and all cancelled checks or promissory notes signed by you that you actually took a $5,000 loan from the deceased friend as well as all evidence from her banking or checking accounts that the $5,000 was transferred to you. Keep a copy of the letter sent for future reference and need.

I suspect that the letter you received may be some type of a scam by the person that wrote you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption