Paid Mortgage until 1-1-2010 refinancing now Citimortgage will not give back money for months not yet occurred. How can I get my money back?

UPDATED: May 28, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Paid Mortgage until 1-1-2010 refinancing now Citimortgage will not give back money for months not yet occurred. How can I get my money back?

Paid Mortgage in advance until 1-1-2010 refinancing loan and want money for June 2009- Dec 2009 back total amount $3984.75. On Pay-out document Citi-Mortgage is only refunding interest for the above months. When adding totals, they do not match what is due back to us.

Asked on May 28, 2009 under Real Estate Law, California


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

what you need to do is look to see if citi-mortgage applied the additional amounts outside of the interest to principal. If you did not specify not to they would usually do just that. If that is the case that means they will agree to pay the interest based on the fact that it is yours legally however they have applied the remainder to principal.

If that happened they will not now go and refund amounts already considered principal, rather the loan amount is lower than it was. If you feel as if this is not the case you may want to call a local attorney who can review the paperwork and see if in fact citi-mortgage owes you money and is refusing at which time they can discuss possible avenues to pursue

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption