Can a title in NC be cleared without the new husbands signature on a quit claim deed?

UPDATED: May 28, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a title in NC be cleared without the new husbands signature on a quit claim deed?

20 years ago the divorce decree included the directions for my exwife to provide me with a quit claim deed to our property in North Carolina. I’m selling the property now and while she has signed a Quit Claim Deed her new husband refuses to do so. They live in the state of Virginia. Can I clear the title with just her Quit Claim Deed or do I need to get the new husband to also sign, since NC is a joint property state? He’s refusing to sign as he feels he should be paid for his signature. If I can clear it with just her signature how do I go about doing it?

Asked on May 28, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Huh? 20 years ago you got a divorce decree when you both owned the home, and she quit claimed it when to you? Why do you need husband's signature? If she didn't quit claim it to you, how did the husband get on title? It doesn't make sense and something is missing.  If he is playing games (and he wasn't part of the divorce decree so he has no standing to say he should be paid), take her to court in contempt.  If that doesn't help, sue him and her.

Try and check out a divorce attorney.  Check out his or her record at the Georgia State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption