What to do if my wife was in auto accident and was ticketed for disobeying traffic light?

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my wife was in auto accident and was ticketed for disobeying traffic light?

The accident happened around 3 1/2months ago. Yesterday we received letter from attorney representing plaintiff, certified mail return receipt. The letter states, “You are hereby served the enclosed notice of attorney’s lien indicating that this law firm retains a lien for 1/3 of any amounts you or your insurance company pay to plaintiff. Please fill out the enclosed insurance information sheet in self add stamped envelope”. Should I return the requested information or should I forward this to my insurance comp? Do I need attorney or insurance company should handle this? We never have this happened to us before.

Asked on January 8, 2014 under Accident Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written, you wife needs to immediately consult and contact a representative of her insurance carrier about the letetr just received and have the carrier handle the issue for her. Do not communicate with the attorney that wrote the letter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption