What will happen if I was in an car accident because the other guy merged into my lane and hit me but he has no insurance and his license is suspended?

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I was in an car accident because the other guy merged into my lane and hit me but he has no insurance and his license is suspended?

The office said that I would be subponed to appear in court. Do I need to stay in home or can I go on my vacation? The accident happened out of state. I have plans to go on vacation next month. What will happen if I am away and they try to serve me?

Asked on January 8, 2014 under Accident Law, Indiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have uninsured motorist coverage on your auto insurance policy, you can file a claim through your insurance company for your property damage (the cost of repairs to your car).  If you were injured in the accident, your personal injury claim is separate from your property damage claim, but would also be filed through your insurance company as an uninsured motorist claim.

If you don't have uninsured motorist coverage, your only recourse is to sue the at-fault party for negligence.  If you get a judgment against the at-fault party, you can enforce it with a wage garnishment.

As for the subpoena, since you haven't been served and don't know when the court date is, go on your vacation.  If you aren't home, multiple attempts will be made to serve you with the subpoena.  It won't be effective notice of the hearing  until you are served.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption