If my wife moved to Korea and I want a divorce, do I need lawyer or can I do it myself?

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife moved to Korea and I want a divorce, do I need lawyer or can I do it myself?

I wanted a divorce before she left but she ended up leaving beforehand. I sent her some papers to sign the house over she couldnt make it to get it notorized (in Korea) but she sent the to her sister, who lives in the US, to notorize them (wife’s signature) and sent them back to me in the state in which I live. Is this okay to and legal to do? Can I just go to the courthouse , file and get a divorce? What would the process be? Would it be too complicated to get this done. I don’t know if and when she will be back and I don’t want her back. She is a resident, of my state; she is not a Korean resident. No children are involved.

Asked on July 2, 2012 under Family Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you wish to divorce your wife, you can do the petition for such yourself and file the document within the county and state of your residence without the need for an attorney. There are certain clinics in various counties such as "legal aid" that can assist you in the process of obtaining the marital dissolution that you seek.

However, it is always best to have a family law attorney be consulted with the process that you wish to undertake in order to make sure that your interests are protected.

Overall, the facts concerning your marriage with no children makes the dissolution process a lot easier for you than if you had children to consider.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption