What will happen when I miss my eviction hearing?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen when I miss my eviction hearing?

I’m already moved out of the residence. I was served. While packing. ‘m in another state and at sisters wedding so I will miss eviction hearing; they won’t reschedule. I’ve heard that I will get a bench warrant (what does that mean?) Also, I’ve heard that they can suspend my driver’s license. What can and/or will really happen?

Asked on August 18, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

What will likely happen is that a judgment will be entered against you for whatever rent the landlord claims you owe him, plus attorneys fees and costs.  The landlord will then be able to garnish your wages and/or bank accounts to collect the amount of the judgment.  You might want to contact the landlord's attorney and attempt to settle the matter prior to the hearing date.  Having a judgment hanging over you will make life difficult.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption