If my sister was murdered, how can I obtain legal guardianship over my nephews?

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my sister was murdered, how can I obtain legal guardianship over my nephews?

It is 3 boys; 1 of the father’s is incarcerated and paternity was never established for the other 2.

Asked on June 19, 2014 under Estate Planning, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I applaud you and your taking on the care of these boys.  They are very lucky.  You could do this yourself and file what is known as a Petition for Appointment of a Guardian and Conservator by getting the Petition from the court clerk of the Probate Division of the Circuit Court in the county where the children live. Once the Petition is filled out and the fees paid the Petition is to be delivered to the Sheriff for service upon the caretaker.  But I really think that in this case you should speak with a lawyer about this all because the rights of the fathers - even if paternity was not established - may have to be terminated legally for you to go forward. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption