If i’m out of status should my spouse who is a green card holder file for citizenship with my name on her application?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If i’m out of status should my spouse who is a green card holder file for citizenship with my name on her application?

I’ve been legally out of status here in the U.S. for about 5 years now. I’ve been married to a green card holder for the past 2 years. She’s eligible to apply for citizenship but we’re worried about putting my name on her application as a spouse because of my status. Would omitting my name from her citizenship application get either of us in trouble? Particularly when she files to adjust my status after acquiring her citizenship? Can she claim to be unmarried on her citizenship application? We have not filed for anything jointly as a couple yet.

Asked on July 20, 2017 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, she should answer all questions on the application truthfully and it should not affect your ability to adjust status once she is naturalized as long as you entered the US lawfully and can prove that lawful entry.  Are you eligible for DACA in the meantime?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption