What canI do if my roommate is harassing me and I feel I have no way of getting out of the lease?

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do if my roommate is harassing me and I feel I have no way of getting out of the lease?

My roommate has been harassing me and I’ve made the rental office aware they gave me suggestions on what I could do. I have tried everything with my roommate but she keeps refusing. I moved back home with my family because I don’t feel safe living in the apartment.

Asked on December 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to carefully read your lease with your landlord in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed you by the landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law. If you are on a month-to-month lease, I would give notice to your landlord that you will be terminating it. Make sure the notice is in writing and it is a 30 day notice.

If the lease is a term lease, you unfortunately are stuck with the difficult roommate. The landlord does not get involved in roommate disputes. Roommate disputes ordinarily do not allow for the ending of the lease unless the written lease states so.

Options are to try and resolve the problems you have with your roommate and if not successful, you can try and sublease out your interest in the lease if you are not on a month-to-month lease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption