How do I get my property back to normal and get them to leave?

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my property back to normal and get them to leave?

I have a detached garage and my sister asked if she could store her things there while she looked for a place to live. I was in the hospital that week and when I came home she had built a home for herself in my garage. She had water, electrical and gas outlets from the washer and dryer. There was an existing bathroom there. What can I do?

Asked on December 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you no longer want your sister staying at your home, you simply need to tell her she needs to leave by a certain date and to restore the detached garage back to normal before you were in the hospital.

If she refues to leave by a certain date, you need to serve her with a 30 day eviction notice. If she still remains after she was served with the eviction notice after 30 days, you will need to file an unlawful detainer action against her and go to court to get her evicted.

I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney about your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption