If my fiancé dies, what are my rights?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my fiancé dies, what are my rights?

I’m engaged to a man who was married and divorced 12 years ago. They have 2 kids together and she is currently on his health insurance. I am in the process of moving into his house, he bought me a new car 9but in his name), and we have 1 joined bank account. God forbid something happens to him before we get married, what am I entitled to? Does his ex-wife have more rights than I do? I just want to put the proper paperwork together to protect myself.

Asked on May 12, 2017 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are entitled to nothing by virtue of being a fiance: being engaged is not a legal relationship and gives you no rights to property. You would have rights to anything owned jointly with him, such as (depending on how exactly you own it) either your share of money in a joint bank account or possibly all the money in the account; however, you would have no right to anything owned solely by him (e.g. a car titled in his name;  a house if he only he and not you are on the title). Were he to die before you are married, anything owed by him (including any bank or brokerage accounts which are only in his name) will go to his children if there is no will.
If he has a will, then anything owed solely by him (or his share of joint assets) will go as directed by a will; so if he has a will naming you as a beneficiary, that can protect you, and that is something he should create: that will give you protection (as would putting you on the title of a home or other assets). If you are going to delay marrying for any length of time, he should also create a power of attorney giving you authority over his finances, business, property, etc. if he is incapacitated, and a medical POA/directive letting you make medical decisions for him--otherwise, you would have no right to do these things.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption