What do I need to do so my friend can get my death certificate when I die?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I need to do so my friend can get my death certificate when I die?

I live in Nevada. My 2 sisters and I are
estranged. I am divorced since over 30 years.
When I die I want my best friend to have
access to my death certificate for my own
reasons and if possible just have me
cremated. I don’t want my family involved just
my best friend. Can I just write a statement
saying for the friend to be allowed to handle my
cremation and get my certificate and have it

Asked on May 11, 2017 under Estate Planning, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Draft a will (in which you can direct who gets your property or assets as well) and in it, name your friend as the executor for your estate. The executor of an estate has the legal authority to get the death certificates for the deceased. Doing this will also make sure that the court does not appoint one of your estraged sisters to oversee your estate, since she may not follow your wishes.
Note you can also put your wishes about burial, any services, etc. into the will. A simple will can generally be created by a lawyer for $300 - $500, and the lawyer will also make sure it is properly signed, witnessed, etc. The reason you need a will is that *only* a will controls what happens after a person dies--other letters or documents do not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption