My property damage has been exceeded and an attorney is requiring I pay the amount.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My property damage has been exceeded and an attorney is requiring I pay the amount.

I was at fault for an auto accident on 1/19/16. New Link Destination
tal damages exceeded my
property damage of 10,000.00 While the owner required a rental of another
truck to perform his work which is a total of 7,996.38. Now I have called the
attorney and spoke with him about the payment but have not agreed to
anything yet.

Asked on June 8, 2016 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can try to negotiate a reduced amount.  If that is unsuccessful, negotiate a payment plan.
If you are unsuccessful in negotiating a payment plan and can't afford to pay the amount, you might want to consider filing bankruptcy.  Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation which will eliminate that particular debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption