If my partner and I are separating but we have a house under both of our names and I want to sell it yet he refuses to, what can I do?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my partner and I are separating but we have a house under both of our names and I want to sell it yet he refuses to, what can I do?

He doesn’t have a job to pay the mortgage and I have a job but can’t afford the mortgage on my own. Is there a way to remove a name (whether it be mine or his) from the house title or is there a way to sell the house without the other owner’s consent?

Asked on November 3, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you can't reach an agreement about whether or not to sell the house, then you can have a judge settle things. "Partition" is a legal remedy that refers to a judicial division of property among joint owners.
If the property can be physically divided, the court will so instruct. However, since we are dealing with a single family house, splitting it would be impractical. In such case, the court will order the sale of the property at fair market value and an equitable division of the proceeds among the co-owners. Although, it will first allow the property to be offered to any owner who wants to keep it. If that owner cannot afford to buy, then it will be put on the market.
You should be aware, however, that a forced sale can be expensive and time-consuming. Perhaps you can explain all of this to your partner and they will change their mind about selling. If not, you should consult directly with a real estate attorney in your area who can more fully explain your rights and remdies under specific state law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption