What to do if my landlord has not given me back my security deposit?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my landlord has not given me back my security deposit?

We left a month before the end of our lease, but he found a new tenant to take over our spot. I did a walk through with him before I left, and he said that the place looked great. I asked when we would get our deposit back and he said when the new tenant moves in and pays him a deposit. It has been three months and we have not received a phone call, e-mail, or letter in the mail from him. We have tried to contact him numerous times but he keeps stringing us along. He says the tenant hasn’t paid him a deposit yet, so he can’t pay us yet. Do we have a right to take him to small claims court and do you think we could win?

Asked on January 4, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you could sue him for the deposit and would seem to have a reasonable chance of winning, subject to the below. A landlord may only lawfully withhold part or all of a deposit for 1) damage, which exceeds normal wear and tear, done to the unit; and 2) unpaid rent, owed at the end of tenancy. The landlord may not withhold a deposit because the next tenant has not yet provided his/her deposit.

If there was no damage, then the issue would be when did the new tenant take over? If the new tenant seamlessly took over as you were walking out the door (so to speak), so that the landlord did not lose any rent, you would seem to have a good chance of winning. If there was some period between you breaking your lease early and the new tenant beginning to pay rent, so that the landlord lost some or all of that month's rent (the month you move out early), the landlord would be entitled to keep an amount from the deposit equal to the unpaid rent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption