If my husband deposits his check into my account can the money be garnished for his debt to a payday loan company?

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband deposits his check into my account can the money be garnished for his debt to a payday loan company?

My husband has several payday loans out which ended up closing our joint savings account. I have a savings account at the same bank. If his pay is direct deposited to this account can the bank take money from my account?

Asked on November 21, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there is a judgment against your husband the chance sof your bank account or accounts being levied upon to satisfy the judgment is somewhat remote if you are not also named on the judgment besides him.

If you are not named on the judgment, there is the possibility that under the laws of your state that the marital community can be responsible for one-half of the debt of your husband. If so, then there is the possibility that the judgment crediotr can amend the judgment against you husband to name you as well as a community/marital debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption