Can a company sue me again after obtaining a judgement?

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a company sue me again after obtaining a judgement?

I lost a lawsuit to a company and paid them a lot of money but did not pay the amount in the judgement. I have retained a bankruptcy attorney. I hear that they intend to sue me again.

Asked on November 21, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Can they bring a new lawsuit for the same facts or cause of action, seeking more money? No. However, that said, they may:

1) If you did not pay everything you were obligated to pay under the judgment--which is what you indicate--they may take legal action seeking to enforce that judgment (basically, a lawsuit brought on the judgment), to recover not just the rest of their money, but also possibly post-judgment interest and also court costs and lawyers fees for having to take action to enforce the judgment.

2) If you did anything else which would have given them a different basis to sue you (e.g. defaulted on some different account, loan, debt, etc.), they could clearly sue you on a different cause of action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption