What to do if all beneficiaries except one want to sell inherited property?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if all beneficiaries except one want to sell inherited property?

My husband and his 6 siblings took possession of the family farm in Missouri after their parents died. There was no Will. They paid the bills and have paid the taxes over the years. One sibling would like to buy the others out. All siblings are in agreement, except one siblings spouse won’t sign. What are their options?

Asked on December 29, 2013 under Estate Planning, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If they can't work things out voluntarily, the majority of the beneficiaries can go to court and get a court order requiring the sale of the property and distribution of the proceeds. As the majority of the owners, they can force the sale. They should speak with a real estate attorney about instituting this action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption